Given the serial number C1-0609, WK586 rolled off the production line at Hatfield in March 1952. It began its service life with the RAF and was delivered to 11 RFS at Perth in Scotland moving to St Andrews UAS, prior to going into storage. In 1958, 586 was issued to the Middle East Air Force and was based in Cyprus for the next two years. On return to the UK it was converted to enable it to tow gliders and for the rest of its service life was loaned out to numerous units for very short periods to carry out glider towing duties for service competitions.
Over the next three decades, it was used by Aberdeen UAS, RAF College at Cranwell, 2 FTS at Church Fenton, 6 AEF at Abingdon, E.F.T.S at Swinderby, 9 AEF at Finningley and for a short time was on the books with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. It also spent a considerable amount of time in storage with 5 Maintenance Unit at Kemble and 27 Maintenance Unit at Shawbury. Finally in August 1993 WK586 was transferred to the Army Air Corps at Middle Wallop, where it was used by the Army for their elementary flight training courses, until March 1997 when it was sold at auction to Interflight (Air Charter) Ltd, Biggin Hill.
Given the civil registration G-BXGX, it was flown relatively little over the following thirteen years, in fact only being airborne for 115 hours over that entire period and after a long period of inactivity, was eventually put up for sale in 2010. GX was bought by Real Flying Company Director, Iain Flitcroft and the aircraft was put in the hands of the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford for a full restoration, a job that took eighteen months to complete. Chipmunk G-BXGX (WK586) arrived at its new home at Shoreham, West Sussex at the end of April 2012 and transferred ownership to the Real Flying Company.